Ginger Coffee Cake
Need that morning cup of coffee to get the day started? Enjoy your Cup o’ Joe with this delicious Hempseed and Coconut Oil Coffee Cake, or just for a sweet snack! Recipe Credit: Ellen Wright, Prunedale CA.
Recipe type: Snack
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 cup Nutiva Organic Hempseed Lightly Toasted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2-3 tsp ginger (ground) or 2 Tbs grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup Nutiva Organic Coconut Sugar or turbinado sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup apple Grated**
- 1 lemon Zest
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Organic Extra-Virgin Melted
- 1 tsp lemon Extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract Extract
- 11/2 cup almond milk or coconut
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 13 cake pan with coconut oil.
- Whisk or sift together the dry ingredients until well blended. Stir the grated apple and lemon zest into the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the melted coconut oil into the eggs then whisk in the lemon and vanilla extracts.
- Stir the lemon juice and milk together then add to the egg-butter mixture.
- Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients until well mixed. It should be almost as thick as biscuit dough. Wet your hands to spread the batter-dough evenly in the pan and bake at 415 for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 375 for about 20 to 25 minutes more. It should be golden brown and slightly mounded in the middle.
- Frosting: Make any cream cheese frosting and add lots of lemon zest and some lemon juice or spread lemon curd onto the cake
- * No problem with gluten? Substitute 2 cups flour. I use whole wheat “white” pastry flour
- ** You can use grated carrots or grated summer squash if you wish. You can also add chopped nuts and raisins too.
Recipe Credit: Ellen Wright, Prunedale CA.