Greens in Garlic Tahini Sauce
Here is a great side dish of greens in a creamy and dairy-free sauce. Perfect on its own or over grains, or pasta. Think creamed spinach, but heartier and higher in calcium. Feel free to swap collard greens, chard, or beet greens for the kale. If you have not used umeboshi vinegar, you are in for a treat. It has a delicious lemony salty flavor. If you like, swap out the umeboshi for fresh squeezed lemon and sea salt. The addition of red palm oil rounds out things perfectly.
- 2 tbsp Nutiva Organic Red Palm Oil
- 1/2 cup Onions (red or yellow; coarsely chopped)
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 2 1/2 cups Zucchini (sliced in half moons)
- 5 cups Kale (tightly packed; chopped into bite-size pieces)
- 1 cup Water
- 2/3 cup Tahini
- 2 tbsp Umeboshi Vinegar
- Heat and melt the red palm oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add the zucchini and sauté for about 3 minutes, until bright green.
- Add the kale and sauté for about 5 minutes until it wilts or kale is tender to your liking.
- Push the vegetables off to the side of the wok. Add the water, tahini, and umeboshi vinegar and stir it up into a creamy sauce.
- Gently stir the vegetables into the sauce.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings if desired; you may want to add more umeboshi vinegar for a tangy, saltier flavor. For a creamier consistency, add more tahini and water.
- Yield: 4 servings (4 Servings)
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 12 mins
- Ready In: 17 mins