How does a tasty dessert for breakfast sound? Our lovely Low Carb Pancake Casserole will surely hit that sweet spot!
With a just little planning ahead, you can have a Low Carb, High Protein breakfast every day of the week for you and your partner, too!
Or freeze and hoard it all for yourself then enjoy for two whole work weeks!
(This recipe was inspired by Heather Kinnaired over at Well Floured.)
Low Carb Pancake Casserole
Click HERE to save this recipe for later.
- 9 scoops Vanilla Plant Protein Superfood 30 Shake
- 1 ¾ cups water
- ⅓ cup Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil (plus more for the griddle)
- ½ cup, plus 1 tablespoon egg white
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt *optional
- 3 whole pasture raised eggs
- 4 egg whites or ¾ cup
- 1 Vanilla Forager Cashewgurt
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- In a large mixing bowl open up and pour in 9 scoops of Vanilla Plant Protein Superfood 30 Shake, add the baking powder and salt then mix well with whisk. Pour in egg whites and water and whisk together until there are no lumps; 3 minutes or so.
- Turn your griddle on to just below medium and add 1-2 teaspoons of Coconut Oil let the heat rise for a minute or so then pour on about 3 tablespoons or just under ¼ cup of batter per pancake.
- Cook each side for 1.5 minutes taking care not to overcook as the batter could stick a bit if the griddle is too hot.
- You will have roughly 18 pancakes that are 3 to 3.25 in diameter when finished cooking all the batter.
- Freeze the pancakes and make the casserole in a day or two or carry on to the next step.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Make the custard filling by whisking the eggs whites until stiff and folding in the rest of the custard ingredients (it's not necessary to whisk the egg whites separately, it just makes a bit more fluffy custard filling).
- Cut each pancake in half and layer them, cut side down: 2 then 3, 1, 2 then 3, 1, 2
and so on. then then
- Make streusel topping by combined those ingredients above.
- Pour the custard filling on top of the layered pancakes taking care to distribute evenly through.
- With your hands sprinkle the streusel topping evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes and cut into 12 even pieces.
- Eat just one a day and save the rest or share with friends.
- Top with Chocolate Hazelnut Spread and Strawberries (or Coconut Manna and bananas with maple or coconut syrup).
Note: 1 scoop of Plant Protein Super Food 30, ⅛ teaspoon baking powder, 3 tablespoons of egg whites and ¼ cup water makes 2 pancakes.