Old-Fashioned Coconut Cake
- 3/4 cup Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp almonds Extract
- 3 cups cake flour Sifted Flour Substitute Add Nutiva Hemp Protein Powder to pies, cakes, muffins, and breads at a 25% hemp to 75% flour ratio— a great low-carb flour substitute.
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 6 egg whites
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening and butter (if used).
- Beat in sugar gradually. Add vanilla, coconut and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- To shortening/sugar mixture, add flour mixture alternately with milk, ending with flour.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans.
- Divide batter evenly in pans.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of pan comes out clean. Do not over-bake.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Frost. (Recipe follows).
- Yield: 1 (6 Servings)
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins