It’s true, in a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte, there is no actual pumpkin used. Perhaps, though, they never intended for the beverage to include pumpkin, but instead just pumpkin spice?
Either way, surely there is a better way, with superior ingredients, and surely we should entertain the idea of using real pumpkin, since pumpkin is a true fall superfood.
In case you want to ditch the pumpkin-less Pumpkin Spice Latte for one that includes pumpkin and other wonderful ingredients, this one should do the trick.
There are 3 key components to a latte: espresso, milk and “flavor.”
You don’t have to use espresso in your Pumpkin Spiced Latte. You can, instead, use coffee, but which ever you choose, try your very best to ensure it’s fair trade.
This recipe uses coconut milk (I used organic). You can always substitute for the milk of your choice. Note that for the “creamer,” you’ll need something thick (i.e. organic cream, organic whole milk, etc.)
This Pumpkin Spiced Latte comes to you sans-chemicals. In other words, no sauces or syrups are used. You can adjust the amount of flavor to include more or less, as desired.
- 5 C. light coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 Tsp. pumpkin puree
- 1 Tsp. + ½ Tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 Tsp. freshly grated ginger
- ¼ Tsp. allspice
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 Tsp. Vanilla extract
- ½ Tsp. Cloves, Whole
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 Tsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1 C. coffee, freshly brewed or espresso as desired
Note: You will also need a cheesecloth.
- Place all ingredients in a pan on the stove, stir and set aside (but don’t turn the heat on yet). Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes (this is so that the flavors can all begin to absorb into the coconut milk).
- Prepare your coffee or espresso.
- Cook ingredients on the stove by turning heat on low. Stir occasionally for about 20 minutes, making sure the mixture does not curdle and/or boil.
- Meanwhile, place a small portion of your cheesecloth over a medium-sized bowl.
- Once the ingredients are heated and cooked, pour over the cheesecloth and drain into bowl.
- Place your coffee/espresso on the bottom of your coffee cup.
- Fill with the Pumpkin Spiced Latte mixture.
I said there would be a bonus Pumpkin Spiced Creamer. I haven’t forgotten!
For those of you who would rather just drink coffee with a little sweetened cream, but without all the extra junk, here you go!
- ½ C. full fat coconut milk
- 2 Tsp. pumpkin puree
- ¼ Tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 Tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 Tsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Sugar
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend (I used a small blender, but you can use any blender, a hand-held blender or even a Smart Stick)
- Pour mixture into a small container, cover and place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Use as desired.
Fall is officially here! Go ahead….dive into something real, something pumpkin, something pumpkin spice!